Listen Now

Published on June 28th, 2014 | by Janice

HOW DO YOU LISTEN?

Audiobook Drawing & Giveaway

Debra Webb’s THE FACES OF EVIL SERIES

Narrated by Carol Schneider

Published by Tantor Audio

Audiobooks have an official month and it’s June!  (Hey we still have a few more hours left.)

This is not just about the audiobook industry patting itself on the back…although there might be some of that; it is, after all, an industry that has boomed into a billion or more dollar industry in the past few years.     June—being the first month of summer and the harbinger of long road trips and other much needed escapes—is the perfect time to select a literary journey or two.

To that end, I would love to introduce you all to Debra Webb’s scintillating series, The Faces of Evil, now available in audiobook form from Tantor Audio.audiogals

Set in the sweltering heat of Alabama, and chronicling the iconoclastic Special Agent Jess Harris’ efforts to catch the twisted serial killer Eric Spears,  each book is filled with a slew of  gritty, wild, engrossing characters.   I had the pleasure of voicing the crowd of them in the first six books (there will be twelve in all!) of Debra’s entertaining, thrilling, funny, creepy and downright chilling writing, I found myself intimately invested in everyone, including the monsters.

I will be giving away the first six audiobooks of the series in a drawing which will happen on July 3rd.   Each of the six books will be given away separately so six people will have a chance to win.   All you have to do is leave a comment, in the comments section below, about how you listen to audiobooks: smart phone, computer, cd, Mp3 player, etc.

I would like the first book in the series, Obsession, to go to someone who is entirely new to        The Faces of Evil.   So when you check in below, please let me know that you haven’t read any of the books and your name will go into the Obsession bowl.

When I talk to and interact with readers of these books and others, one of the things I consistently find is that there are folks who would love to listen to audiobooks but they are cowed by the technology (I must admit, I was too, at first!).

carol_slider4If you have never listened to an audiobook and are flummoxed by all the technology, let us know in your comment!   I will respond with some ideas and you can also get some ideas from your fellow readers/listeners!    In the meantime, the best guide on how to listen that I’ve found to date is on AudioGals website:  http://www.audiogals.net/simple-tech/#.U6uDQPldV1Y

If you’ve not ever listened to an audiobook and aren’t sure if they are for you, winning this drawing would be a great way to find out.

Audiobooks harken back to story-telling as it was before the written word:   oral.   Of course you don’t need to listen by the fire now, you can listen in a car or on a hammock or while you barbeque.   Think of it as an ancient-and-intimate-meets-digital mode of getting your daily dose of story.

How do you listen?

Do you have some tech advice for the newbies?

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

Happy Summer!

Carol

Summary:

About the Author

25 Responses to
HOW DO YOU LISTEN?

1. Karen Candee says:

Love audio books! Easy to use – and the people that do the reading are usually very good actors/actresses!

2. Michelle Harrison says:

I love the facrs of evil series but have never listened to audio books . Would love love the experience.

3. Carmen says:

I love the series! I listen to my audiobooks using my smart phone. I love to ride to work listening to a good book. So you can drive and “read” at the same time! 😉

• admin says:

Carmen, I’m glad you love this series. I do as well. Do you connect your smart phone into your car speakers with a blue tooth or do you listen with headphones?

4. Roswita says:

I listen to audio books on my iPod every day on my commute to and from work. It’s a pleasant way to pass the time and I don’t have to interact with my bus mates. Sometimes they’re a little scary! 🙂

5. Nancy Wolfe says:

Thank you for the contest. I have never listened to audio books before and it would be awesome to try this out.

6. John Kurtze says:

Reading all of FACES OF EVIL on my Kindle but I can now listen to the books and not have to use my eyes. I love my Kindle and audtio files are new to me but I like them. I like the way you make each character come alive. It is like you have a photo to refer to as you read their parts.

• admin says:

Hi John! Thanks for checking in! Isn’t Debra a great writer? I have never used a Kindle. Can you use it to listen to books, do you know?

• John Kurtze says:

If you have a Kindle Paper White HD you can. I have listened to audio on my Kindle as well as on my PC and I can’t tell the difference. My advice is to make sure you have you Kindle plugged in as it really draws on the battery

• John Kurtze says:

• admin says:

Thanks so much, John! That’s very helpful to know! I have friends with Kindles and I can let them know the Kindle will work for an audiobook listen.

7. lori says:

I enjoy listening and well as reading. I sometimes get more out of listening. love the way people and motions are described. I do have a kindle paperwhite, but had a nook that had both audio and reading.

• admin says:

Hi Lori, I’m the same way. I like to read and I like to listen. Sometimes I have two books going at the same time. One I’m reading in print on the train and one I’m listening to at the gym. And reading and listening are different experiences…both equally legit!

8. Joann says:

I love the series and with audio I’d love to put the character with the voice. I’ve read the series twice.

9. Spring adams says:

I listen on computer or with CDs. I love the difference in audio books.

10. John Kurtze says:

Carol,
    I guess If you have bowl for each book. The only one I can’t have my name in is the one for Obsession as I have read the series once with ebook before I joined the team once after I joined the team and selectively from the print versions.

So I know listening on my Kindle or my iPod or PC would be great just listening to the characters come alive.

It would also help anyone who wanted to take up DEBRA’S book in a book club. Use of audio tapes would be a great teaching tool for a group leader of book discussion.

Use are unlimited.

11. DeeAnn Kline says:

Even though I’ve listen to a few audiobooks, if I win I’ll send them to my aunt-in-law. She has been legally blind for close to 10 years. She said she missed reading so much. I’ve sent her a few over the years to enjoy. I can’t imagine my life without books and reading, so it’s a blessing to have audiobooks for those who can’t see. Thanks for being a part of the audiobook world.

• admin says:

DeeAnn,

Bless you and your Aunt and thank you for your kind comment! You maybe know that the industry started as books for the blind with the Library of Congress many, many decades ago. We are so lucky that the digital age has allowed the massive expansion of the industry. Now most books are available in audio which is great for the folks like your Aunt as well as dyslexics too but also for the rest of us.

12. admin says:

Hello Everyone!

It was such a please to “meet” some of Debra’s fans here. Thank you so much for checking in for this drawing. The drawing has been completed and by tomorrow (July 4th) I’ll have notified all the winners. I truly wish I could send you all a book! But there will be more drawings in the future and I hope you’ll throw your hats in the ring for those.
    Once you hear from me that you are a winner which will be tonight or tomorrow morning, please respond asap with your mailing address which I will pass along ONLY to Tantor Media so that they can send you your new audiobook. If I don’t hear back from you, in a couple of days, I will redraw another winner for that book. I’ll announce the winners publicly at that time.

Happy Independence Day all! Blessings to you!

Carol